Your Mexican vacation doesn’t have to be all about tequila shots, high-calorie meals and sleeping off hangovers. There are plenty of ways to have a healthy vacation in Mexico whether you’re looking to kick-start a fitness plan, enjoy rejuvenating spa treatments, relax and recharge your batteries, or just spend some quiet time reconnecting with nature.
1) Bikini Boot Camp at Amansala: The bikini is not mandatory, but if you want to get into great swimsuit shape, the bikini boot camp at eco-chic resort Amansala in Tulum may be just the thing. Start your days with a stretching session on the beach, then participate in yoga classes, cardio workouts, body sculpting, and biking excursions to nearby ruins or a cenote. The diet at Amansala consists of fresh, local, low-fat dishes with an emphasis on fresh fruit and veggies, and grilled fish. Pampering beachside massages and a Mayan clay treatment will soothe sore muscles and leave you feeling relaxed and renewed.
2) My Destination Wellness at El Dorado Royale: Funjet Vacations and El Dorado resorts have partnered to bring you this vacation option, (one of a menu of Vacations Your Way offered by Funjet) with customized exercise and gourmet food plans to help you reach your goals. Upon arrival at the resort you will have a consultation with a wellness concierge who will assist you in formulating your personalized meal plan and fitness plan based on your goals, fitness level, and dietary needs. All this while enjoying the beautiful surroundings, luxurious amenities and gourmet all-inclusive dining at the El Dorado Royale or El Dorado Casitas Royale.
3) Rancho La Puerta Destination Spa: Named the world’s best destination spa in 2010 by Travel + Leisure’s readers poll, Rancho La Puerta opened as a health camp in 1940 and has been offering guests a healthy vacation option ever since. The original precepts of adequate movement and proper nutrition remain the same, but now guests choose from a vast array of activities, and are housed in comfortable and attractive casitas with fireplaces. The ranch is located on nearly 3000 acres of valley and mountainsides, with lovely landscaped gardens and full resort facilities. The nutritious food served is grown on the on-site organic farm. Read a review of Rancho La Puerta by Anitra Brown, About.com Guide to Spas.
4) Hostal de la Luz Spa & Holistic Resort: An ideal place for reflection and meditation, Hostal de la Luz is set in the foothills of the Tepozteco mountain in Morelos state near Tepoztlan. Guests here may take part in a temazcal, a purification bath, walk a labyrinth, enjoy any of a full range of spa treatments, or simply sit quietly in one of the many tranquil spots throughout the property. This resort was designed as an oasis of peace and harmony, and was recognized by the Dalai Lama as a place of peace during his visit to Mexico in 2006. Accommodation is in twenty three suites, each with its own meditation space, and many with private terrace.
5) Sagrada Wellness: Located on a 15-acre sanctuary just outside San Miguel de Allende, Sagrada Wellness is a boutique resort specializing in yoga retreats, Pilates retreats, and restorative vacations. Accommodation is in adobe cabañas, each situated so as to take advantage of panoramic views of the surrounding natural areas as well as offering privacy. Meandering cobblestone paths connect the cabañas to the hotel facilities. All-inclusive guests enjoy a daily yoga class, three gourmet meals per day, and quality time in the mesquite-fired sauna.